But you just copied Orbient and Osmos!

Osmos and Orbient are both puzzle games with levels. Solar is an open-world sandbox game with the one giant universe, no levels.

For the rest of the differences, get out and play all 3 games. You’ll find they are all quite unique in their own ways and offer very different experiences to the players.

Also, Solar 1 was released 6 months before Osmos was released, so of course I didn’t copy it. Never heard about Orbient nor did I even own a Wii until a year after Solar 1 was released. I still haven’t played either of those games.

How come people don’t complain that all 2D platformers have exactly the same core mechanics anyway. Same with FPS games. Maybe Orbient, Osmos and Solar will be the grandfathers to a whole new genre of games, the 2D top-down circle physics game!

About Jay Watts

Independent Game Developer.
This entry was posted in Murudai Games. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to But you just copied Orbient and Osmos!

1. Foehammer says:

who says “you just copied Orbient and Osmos”. Are they nuts? Seriously, its like comparing, Halo with zelda (in which halo is the better game, and therefore Solar is halo in this Comparison :P ). No but cmon, they aint the same game, at all.. Even I can see that, and I don’t play that many games..

Have you ever thought about releasing this for iphone?

• Jay Watts says:

I was going to make an iPhone port a while ago, so I’ve sure looked into it. I’ll see how it goes on PC first then see how feasible a port is. The PC version is my absolute priority right now.

• sebbie10 says:

Good to know that theres a Developer that cares for PC :D
        I take it the PC version will be able to be more stable when more stuff is on screen at once compared to the the Xbox version.

I’m going to buy on both platforms anyway.

• Jay Watts says:

Heh, this isn’t a PC port of that old Xbox version, this is completely remade from scratch. The code was appalling in that version, lol, I don’t even know how it worked.

I’m going to make a big announcement about how the PC version is going to be distributed in 1-2 weeks, and you’ll understand why the PC version is such a priority now :)

2. Eddy says:

Hey Jay,

Eddy here, designer of Osmos. In case this helps, here it is straight from the horse’s mouth: Solar is *not* a clone nor a copy of Osmos. Same goes for Orbient of course, but I’m not that horse. ;-)

I’ve played Solar, enjoyed it, and am looking forward to your PC version / Solar 2. Good luck with the upcoming release(s)!

FWIW, Osmos sometimes gets accused of being a clone of flOw, Spore, and Orbital/Orbient as well. (By people who have never played it.) Try not to listen. There are plenty of cloners in the industry, but you’re not one of them.

Cheers.

• Jay Watts says:

Thanks, I don’t bother with this stuff directly so this is my ‘passive-aggressive’ solution, so maybe fans can use it to throw some weight behind their arguments or something like that, I dunno. Just an idea.

Interesting that you’ve played Solar. I sometimes forget in my own little closed off world that people know about it. Great, more fans to buy Solar 2 :D

3. solarist says:

playtested solar2 on cc over the weekend and while it’s good, it needs something to make it not so flat looking. something like the pixel shaders and particle systems that Auralax and the radiangames * make good use of. if you somehow came up with some nice subtle ways of using them to create depth i think the game would benefit greatly from it

• Jay Watts says:

I already responded to your first comment, but here’s a repost for the newer post:

Not quite that simple I’m afraid. Xbox 360 is a closed system that has the same hardware for all consoles, meaning it’s nice and easy to push it to the absolute limits and make use of it’s powerful GPU and still run great for everyone. Solar 2 on the other hand will be PC as well and as such I want it to run on as many systems as I can, meaning I can’t do as much GPU abuse. Currently the game runs fine on netbooks, which is awesome :)

That said, I agree that the game could do with a bit of graphical polish. I’m thinking about dynamic lighting and procedurally generated background nebulae. The particles could do with some tweaking to be a bit ‘finer’ and less of a smudgy effect.

My focus currently is on missions content and features, but before release I will certainly give the graphics a work over and get it looking awesome. Keep in mind that I’m less than half-way through the development cycle of Solar 2, there is a lot of work to go yet!

4. Quanrian says:

I’ve only ever played Osmos and honestly that game was very very frustrating. You are right though, people need to play them to experience the differences. I know factually (because I follow and interact heavily with the Indie Game community) that your game was easily one of the most original on the service and still is. People pull your head from your rear and please appreciate a genuine effort to create something that isn’t just another shooter or platformer.

I am absolutely looking forward to the sequel and wish you luck in the DBP. Unfortunately I am rooting for other devs as well lol, so you’ll have to really bring it because there is some stiff competition out there.

Keep up the good work!

5. Quanrian says:

Oh, and if you ever want a bit of an open platform to express yourself. We still actively seek Indie Game developers for interviews on the podcast. So keep that in mind. I know the guys on the podcast dug Solar when I picked it, even if they did not really get it. Sorry, I cannot remember what episode it is but the Indie Pick is always in the description for the episode. I will do a preview for you to help build a moniker of hype once I can actually test Solar 2.

6. Meyat says:

, I agree that the game could do with a bit of graphical ploish. Ie28099m thinking about dynamic lighting and procedurally generated background nebulae. The particles could do with some tweaking to be a bit e28098finere28099 and less of a smudgy effect.My focus currently is on missions content and features, but before release I will certainly give the graphics a work over and get it looking awesome. Keep in mind that Ie28099m less than half-way through the development cycle of Solar 2, there is a lot of work to go yet!