This has been long overdue, my old website was horribly outdated and looked terrible. But here we go, brand new website has been made and it’s now a blog, so I have somewhere to update my progress! So if you’re waiting for Solar 2, which I know some of you are, this is where you need to be
So if you’re keen on Solar 2, that means you played Solar 1, so you want to know what the changes are. Well, probably not as much as you’d hope, as Solar 1 was always a ‘prototype’ of the full game, and Solar 2 is now the full version. Besides, why fix what isn’t broke?
So beyond all new graphics, audio and what not, what are the gameplay changes? Here is a list:
- You can now play as asteroids and planets, and black holes have a more important role.
- The AI life is richer, with planetary turrets, capital ships and (maybe) more!
- Instead of flow breaking ‘challenges’ like in Solar 1, these are split into ‘Missions’ and ‘Objectives’.
- ‘Objectives’ are passive ‘achievement’ like things that just run in the background (for example, blow up 40 planets).
- ‘Missions’ are activated, but you keep playing with the same system you’ve been building up. There will be some pretty crazy missions, ranging from obstacle courses to boss fights I’ll put in as many as I possibly can.
So what’s staying essentially the same?
- The core physics including collisions and orbits
- The ability to unlock cheats (although with different cheats)
- And all the rest of that ‘Solar’ charm from the original that I see no reason to change for the sake of changing something
The game will be ready for release early 2011. I’m still looking for a distributor for the PC version, but even if I don’t find one I’ll still sell it here on my site, so don’t worry if you don’t have an Xbox!
The Xbox version will come out around the same time as the PC version, and will be either 240 MS points, or maybe even 400 if I feel that that cost is justified with all the new content. That’s of course if it doesn’t get on XBLA, which you never know, I’ve sent the emails… although I’m not holding my breath over that one!
So there you go, you are now up to date with Solar 2. I’ll be posting on this blog updates relating to how the game will be distributed + released. I’ll show off some of the cooler new features too!